500 results in 0.5448 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to Carverfromnowhere's B'day
    Re: Carverfromnowhere's B'day

Thanks for the birthday wishes, I'm still around and carving/turning. Working as a cook for a steakhouse now some day I'll return to the forums in full. Hope everyone has been well and has a pleasant holiday season.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to Calling all Young Carvers
    Re: Calling all Young Carvers

21 now, started carving 5 years ago just after my 16th birthday, wish I had more time to devote to my carving and turning but I've been too busy with life. Younger brother also carves he will be 18 this summer.
    Carl
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to How's everyone been.
    Re: How's everyone been.

Good to hear from you all, I was gone over the weekend with my girlfriend so I hadn't checked this since I posted it. I'm not entirely stopped carving right now I still do some putzing. Main carving right now is a woodspirit my godmother ordered for some friend...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    started a topic How's everyone been.

How's everyone been.

I haven't been on here much, too many things going on in my life to find the time. Thought I would stop in and say Hi, I hope everyone is well, it's been really cold here so I have not been into my shop a whole lot. Have a few carvings in the works and some knives, lots of stuff on the lathe. No pictures...
    See more | Go to post

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to WCI Holiday 2010 (Issue #53)
    Re: WCI Holiday 2010 (Issue #53)

Got mine today, plan on an extensive reading this evening while i'm sitting in my hunting stand.
    Carl
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Basswood vs. Lindenwood

I carve Basswood all the time it's plentiful on my property here and i have a sawmill, I have carved a very limited amount of the European counterpart Lindenwood aka Limewood.

Personally I prefer the European wood, Basswood tends to be too soft...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Carving in the basement ??

Before our shop was built my brother and I carved in an upstairs bedroom and had our bandsaw in the living room, that went on for about a year. Mom got sick of the dust that escaped the collectors and we ended up building a shop.
    Carl
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to Happy Birthday Claude!!!!!
    Re: Happy Birthday Claude!!!!!

Happy birthday Claude hope you had a good one
    Carl
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to A dark dilemma.
    Re: A dark dilemma.

Where are you located Bob?
    All of the wood you've listed is excellent Black Walnut not only great for all types of carving, is very valuable you could probably find a small private sawmill to buy the logs or mill them into lumber for you.
    Cherry is excellent...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Anyone carve tobacco pipes?

Interesting I would imagine fruitwood would work well for the bowl, I don't know anything about how a good pipe smokes as I don't smoke and don't know anyone close by who does. Knowing about fire and wood it seems if it was an open grained more porous wood...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Anyone carve tobacco pipes?

Just looking for information about what woods work to make pipes from, currently experimenting with walnuts maples and birch. Haven't the money to get into briar yet and i am making the stems from wood as well, I'd like to try and steam bend some into curves. Once I get the one I am currently working...
    See more | Go to post

• Re: Allergic to Basswood

Like Bob suggested do have you recently worked with any specific species other than basswood? Some woods can make you sensitive to stuff that has never bothered you before.
    Carl
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• Re: Khaya vs. Cocobolo, hand tools vs. "Dremel"?

I work with cocobolo almost daily on my lathe, it is a known sensitizer so be sure to wear a respirator and have some form of airflow wether it's a air filter or just a fan to keep the dust off of you.

It...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to D-2 Tool Steel
    Re: D-2 Tool Steel

I always get my steel from McMaster Carr otherwise when I can I have my uncle get it through his workplace at a big machine shop, they are constantly ordering all kinds of special steels. Maybe look around see who you know who does metal working or look for local machine...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• CarverFromNoWhere
    replied to Cottonwood Santa No. 8
    Re: Cottonwood Santa No. 8

Nice work Ken, I happened to look at the pictures before reading your post and seen the bark was red and began to wonder where in the world you found bark with a red tint on the outer shell. Very interesting and it does add a old world christmas feeling to it...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X