Collapse
500 results in 1.3930 seconds.
Keywords
Members
Tags
  •  

• mpounders
    replied to The prisoner
    Looks good. You often run into problems with "green" wood cracking/splitting as it drys out, especially on the ends. Green wood is easier to carve than dry wood, but the splitting can sometimes ruin a piece. It usually takes a year per inch of thickness for wood to dry out and it is often...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied to Paper template issue
    I suspect your tool is dull. I just laid a piece of copy paper on my bench and was able to carve through it with no problems and it wasn't glued down at all. The other issue may be the grain direction underneath the pattern. As you follow the pattern, you are cutting with, against, and across the grain,...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    started a topic "Loose Nut Behind The Wheel"

"Loose Nut Behind The Wheel"

"Loose Nut Behind The Wheel" was a likely cause of some automotive problems when i was growing up and probably quite a few today. This started out as the "Red Drawers" rough out by Phil Bishop (available from Dwayne Gosnell Woodcarving) and i changed it up a little. I really liked...
    See more | Go to post

• Nice! Does it have a clothes pin or some kind of clip on the back?
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have been told that Mike Shipley might have some health issues and also that an assistant may have quit. That is probably affecting availability.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I have a similar age band saw and have replaced similar items. One thing that i became aware of is that a lot of those pieces are made of cast metal and can have a tendency to break or crack with age. Now, I always remove the tension from the blade when i won't be using it for a while. I hope this will...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    started a topic Commissioned piece

Commissioned piece

I don't do a lot of commissioned pieces, but i was persuaded to do this one for a retired veterinarian. I used the original as a pattern and cut it out of 2" thick basswood. It took a lot of work to get everything rounded and pierced, especially as it is all one piece, like the original. I had...
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 6 photos.
    See more | Go to post

• mpounders
    replied to Grease for Flex Shaft Cable
    I think they also recommend that you run it a bit hanging over a trash can without a handpiece attached, so that excess grease won't get in the handpieces. It should just warm up and drip out.
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• If you have a dremel or some type of rotary tool, I like the Guge cone sanders and the 3m bristle sanding disk attachments. The cone sanders are paper cones that come in different grits and are pretty handy for difficult areas. They are not real aggressive. Wood grain runs up and down the tree like...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    started a topic "Gordito"

"Gordito"

This is another of the great rough outs designed by Chris Hammack. The first time I saw his carvings, they made me smile and they usually remind me of someone I know. Thanks for looking!
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 5 photos.
    See more | Go to post

• I wouldn't hesitate to recommend OCCT knives or gouges. I also like Helvies and Drakes, even though I had one Helvie get a chip in the blade one time. They figured it hit a knot in the wood, but they replaced it anyhow, even though I had not asked them to. I also have some Ramelsons and Inferior Tools...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied to Micromotor vs flex shaft?
    The speed also corresponds somewhat to the size of the burr and the grit/coarseness. Sanding drums ususally work better at slower speeds than a carbide cutting burr. Coarse burrs may be harder to control at higher speeds. Usually ruby/diamond/white/blue ceramic stones in smaller shaft sizes work better...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• mpounders
    replied to Carving Identification
    Big spoons were a popular kitchen decoration back in the 60s-70s but these look more like a salad set, again for the tourist trade. Could be Polynesian/Tiki or maybe Phillipines? If the wood could be identified, it might indicate the origin, but the designs and spoons could have come from a variety...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• probably a #9 gouge maybe 29mm in size, like a Pfeil full size mallet tool. A #9 means the blade contour is pretty close to a half circle. A # 1 is flat. 29mm is the width at the top of the tool. It is a large tool and you won't be able to take that full size cut out of hardwood no matter how hard you...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

• I was really surprised at how well it cut! And it is not so expensive that you are afraid to use it! The only issue i had was the locking ring being a little tight on one, but it has loosened up now. And it has been around long enough that there are lots of solutions available for any issues. I believe...
    See more | Go to post

Leave a comment:

Working...
X